Both men and women can develop cataracts, but people over 40 are more likely to do so. When a cataract develops, the lens creates a cloudy layer that impairs vision. Double or blurry vision is a symptom of the condition. Even though cataract is not a severe condition, it can be very uncomfortable. If the state is left untreated, the vision may slowly deteriorate and eventually become completely blind.
Surgery to remove the cloudy layer is one of the ideal ways to treat cataracts. Cataract surgery is a minor procedure; the recovery period usually lasts between 15 and 30 days.
Does Health Insurance Cover Cataract Surgery?
Many health insurance plans do pay for cataract surgery. However, the coverage may be subject to sub-limits under your Bajaj Allianz group mediclaim policy. For instance, the policy might only pay 80% of the surgery’s price.
In this case, the insurance provider will only cover 80% of the total cost when you file a claim, so you will be responsible for the remaining 20%. There might be restrictions on the expenses that are covered. Therefore, read the terms and conditions when purchasing a health insurance policy. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under health insurance policy. *
Does The Procedure For Cataracts Have A Waiting Period?
Every health insurance plan has a waiting period. If you need more clarification, how long is the waiting period? It is the time frame during which you are not eligible to receive policy benefits; you must wait to do the health insurance claim process. The waiting period varies for various illnesses but typically lasts three to sixty months.
There might be a waiting period for cataract surgery, and the length varies from insurer to insurer. The average waiting time for cataract surgery is 12 to 24 months. Verify the policy documents to determine the particular waiting period.
Is There A Cap On The Amount That Can Be Claimed For Cataract Surgery?
The insurance company providing the coverage determines the claimed cap. Your policy documents will mention the limitations (if any). The majority of insurance companies do not impose cataract limits. Some insurers, however, might charge a claim cap.
Insurance companies typically use the sum assured to determine the claim limit for cataract surgery. For instance, up to 10% of the sum assured may be the maximum coverage allowed under some health insurance policies. Thus, if you have a health insurance policy worth Rs. 5 lakhs, the total coverage you could receive is Rs. 50,000. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under health insurance policy.
Coverage Under A Group Health Insurance Plan For Cataract Surgery
The term “group health insurance” refers to a single policy that covers all employees and is issued by the employer. These policies typically offer little in the way of coverage and benefits. Additionally, different coverage terms and limits apply depending on the kind of policy your employer has bought. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under health insurance policy.
Most of the time, cataract surgery is covered by Bajaj Allianz Group health insurance. To learn more about the coverage, waiting period, and coverage limit, it is ideal to ask the employer.
Subscribe to Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Youtube Channel here!
*Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.